Who We Are
Welcome to Keystone Community Services!
Keystone Community Services - is a multi-service organization providing human services in the areas of youth, senior, and basic needs programming. Keystone Community Services supports people in need with a variety of services to accomplish the following:
- Youth learn and gain skills that help them succeed in school, at home and in their community by participating in afterschool programming, academic tutoring, youth employment and culturally specific programs designed for immigrant youth.
- Families and individuals become more self-sufficient, stable and connected to their community through support from food shelves, crisis assistance, case management and family programs.
- Seniors remain independent and contribute to their communities by accessing active senior, volunteer, in-home support and case management programs.
- Community members connect to their neighborhoods and contribute to the vitality of St. Paul by volunteering, participating in community events, and supporting their neighbors in need.
History - Keystone Community Services, founded in 1939, began as a neighborhood-based community center providing services designed to identify and reinforce the strengths of individuals, families and communities. We celebrated our 75th anniversary in 2014. Today the diversity of the people Keystone serves and our wide array of services reflect both contemporary community needs and the historic missions of our predecessor organizations. Throughout the past 75 years, Keystone has maintained the core culture and mission of its founding organizations while remaining responsive to the changing needs of the community.
Our service area - includes the greater Midway area, the North End of St. Paul, and the communities of north suburban Ramsey County. Other agency programs extend into Hennepin, Washington and Dakota counties. Service areas vary by service and program. The administrative headquarters of Keystone Community Services is located in the Merriam Park Community Center, 2000 St. Anthony Avenue, St. Paul (map). Services are provided out of six locations including two major multi-service sites, the Merriam Park Community Center and the West Seventh Community Center.
The mission of Keystone Community Services is to strengthen the capacity of individuals and families to improve their quality of life.
• We promote the right of every person to thrive in a supportive and caring family and community.
• We value and respect the rich diversity of our community.
• We are dedicated to delivering effective, professional, high quality programs and services.
• We are committed to maintaining a stable and responsibly managed organization.
• We take a leadership role in developing innovative responses to the emerging needs of our community.
About the Keystone name
A keystone is the central wedge-shaped stone of an arch that locks the parts together and supports the whole. The name reflects the agency’s pivotal leadership role in the delivery of human services in the community. It also suggests the agency’s strength and stability, and its commitment to excellence and quality in all operations.